The QCA All-Decade High School Wrestling Team
This blog is and all of our local prep sports content is sponsored by Godfather's Pizza in East Moline, IL.
Every year the Quad-City Times puts together an All-Metro wrestling team to showcase the great wrestling we have hear in Eastern Iowa and Western Illinois. Thought it would be fun to take a look at ALL of the teams and make an ALL DECADE team.
Now. Because wrestlers sometimes change weight class each year and and there are only 14 weight classes, we split the teams up by lower weights and upper weights. Then we added an extra wrestler to each division- for a total of 16 wrestlers- because the talent was just too good. Each division has a captain.
If a wrestler wrestled between 106lbs - 145lbs, they were considered in the lower weights. If they were eligible in the weight classes from 152lbs - 285lbs, they are in the upper weights.
Criteria was simple: must been named to the Quad-City Times All-Metro wrestling team between 2010 and 2019 and must have won at least ONE state championship.
A special thanks to the Matt Coss, Shannon Heaton, Matt Dahlseid, Jim Meenan, and the staff at the Quad-City Times for making these teams each year.
THE LOWER WEIGHTS
CAPTAIN: Fredy Stroker, Bettendorf, 2015
- Fredy was Bettendorf's first THREE TIME Iowa high school state champion. He was a state runner-up as a freshman. He finished his career with a 196-4 record. His career record at the state wrestling tournament was 15-1 with 10 falls.
Bubba Hernandez, Bettendorf, 2013
- Hernandez was a 4-time state place winner at the Iowa high school wrestling tournament, winning the title in 2013. He was named to the Quad-City Times All-Metro three times and was named co-captain on the 2013 team after his 40-4 senior season.
B.J. McGhee, Rock Island, 2013
- A co-captain with Hernandez of the 2013 All-Metro team, McGhee won his Illinois high school state wrestling championship his 44-1 senior year after finishing a state runner-up his junior year.
Matt Robertson, Davenport Assumption, 2018
- 49-4 his senior season, Robertson was a two time Iowa state high school wrestling champion. Matt was at the top of the podium state titles at 132 for the Knights in 2017 and 2018.
Logan Ryan, Bettendorf, 2014
- A four-time state place winner at the Iowa High School state wrestling tournament. Ryan won back to back state championships for the Bulldogs- at 132 in 2013 and 138 in 2014.
Jay Schwarm, Bettendorf, 2015
- Schwarm was a two time Class 3A Iowa High School state champion at 133 in 2014 and 120 in 2015. Jay posted a record of 162 wins to just 17 losses, and owns the school record with 98 career pins. Jay also was a state runner-up as a sophomore at 106 pounds.
Jack Wagner, Bettendorf, 2016
- While going undefeated as a senior, Wagner became Bettendorf's second three-time state champion. Winning titles in 2014 (106), 2015 (113), and 2016 (120). Jack set a Bettendorf school record for wins in a season.
Tyler Willars, Pleasant Valley, 2012
- The Spartan wrestler was a four-time Iowa High School state wrestling tournament place winner. Willers won the title at 106 in 2010 and repeated as champion in 2012.
THE UPPER WEIGHTS
CAPTAIN: Julien Broderson, Davenport Assumption, 2019
- Broderson was a three-time Iowa High School state wrestling champion (160, 182, and 195)- including going undefeated in both his junior and senior season. Dominated his senior year by never giving up a takedown and only wrestling one full six minute match.
Mitch Bowman, North Scott, 2014
- Won his Iowa High School state championship for the Lancers at 182. Bowman was also a state runner-up at 170 in 2013. North Scott's career win record holder.
Danny Bush, Davenport Assumption, 2014
- Bush went 46-3 during his senior year and won a 152 Iowa High School state championship. He did not give up a singe point during his campaign to win the title.
Adarios Jones, Moline, 2014
- Won a Illinois High School state wrestling championship in 2014 at 285. Jones's 41-3 senior year gave Moline it's first state champion since 2003.
Eli Loyd, Pleasant Valley, 2020
- Loyd is the only wrestler on this list that is CURRENTLY still wrestling in high school. Loyd is a three time state place winner and won an Iowa High School state wrestling championship in 2019 at 138 (Loyd is currently wrestling at 152). Eli became the Spartans career pin record holder this season.
Travis Willars, Pleasant Valley, 2014
- Willars won his state title at 152 in 2014. He was a state runner-up in 2012. Travis graduated from Pleasant Valley as the school's all time leader in wins and pins (was just broken- see above).
Landon Williams, Davenport Assumption, 2010
- Landon dominated Class 2A wrestling his senior season while going 46-0 and winning his Iowa High School state wrestling championship at 160. Williams was a four-time state qualifier and at three-time state place winner.
Wyatt Wriedt, North Scott, 2017
- Wriedt won back to back Iowa High School state wrestling championships at 220. Wyatt had a combined 93-4 record during his junior and senior championship seasons.