IOWA vs Indiana Preview And MPX Viewing Party At Pints
The 2021 NCAA football season has kicked off and this weekend is filled with football excitement. There are some big time games in Week 1 and some interesting wagering lines:
- #1 Alabama (-19.5) at #14 Miami
- #5 Georgia at #3 Clemson (-3)
- #25 Louisiana at #21 Texas (-9)
- #16 LSU (-2.5) at UCLA
- #9 Notre Dame (-7) at Florida State
But the game we are waiting for is the Big Ten season kickoff and home opener for the #18 Iowa Hawkeyes, who host the #17 Indiana Hoosiers. Kickoff is scheduled for 2:30 PM and will be televised on BTN.
Both teams went 6-2 last season. Iowa opened up 2021 with 2 loses and then rattled off 6 wins in a row. The Hoosiers upset Penn State and went toe to toe with Ohio State, meanwhile flirting in the Top 10 for half of the season.
There are many fresh faces in the starting lineups for the Hawkeyes but there are some familiar names, as well. Spencer Petras will take snaps for the second straight year and has familiar weapons in RB Tyler Goodson, WR Tyron Tracy, Jr WR Nico Ragaini, and TE Sam LaPorta, who led the team in receptions last year with 27.
On defense, the Hawkeyes return all secondary starters on a defense that ranked third in the Big Ten with 11 interceptions in 2020. On the defense line, there is a bit off lack of experience-- only DE Zach VanValkenberg has more than 1 career starts.
Iowa and Indiana are meeting as AP ranked opponents for the second time ever and the first time since 1991, when #10 Iowa defeated #25 Indiana 38-21, at Kinnick Stadium.
Iowa opened up as a -3 home favorite. The line has moved to -4 despite on 52% of the handle (money) on the Hawkeyes and the tickets (bets placed) are split 50/50. Iowa is 15-1 Against The Spread since 2015 when favored by 6 or less at Kinnick. The OVER/UNDER is 46-- it has been raining all day on Friday in Iowa City but the forecast tomorrow is 73 degrees with a slight chance of rain. Winds are predicted to be coming from the NNW at 10 to 15 MPH.
HEAD TO HEAD RESULTS (SINCE 2000)
- IOWA is 10-4 STRAIGHT UP against Indiana, including the last 3 meetings.
- IOWA is 9-5 AGAINST THE SPREAD against Indiana, including the last 3 meetings
- The OVER is 11-3 to the TOTAL since 2000, including the last 3 meetings.
- The average number for the TOTAL was 52.9 in those 14 previous meeting since 200. Tomorrow's OVER/UNDER is 46-- it has not been that low since the 10/11/2008 meeting at Indiana. The lowest TOTAL at Iowa was 45 in 2005.
- IOWA is 5-1 STRAIGHT UP against Indiana at Kinnick Stadium since 2000.
- IOWA is 4-2 AGAINST THE SPREAD against Indiana at Kinnick since 2000.
Here more about MPX and the 2 year party on the PARTIO at PINTS during the Iowa game from founder and CEO, Tim O'Neill. He was a guest on ESPN 1170 AM's "Don't Hassle Us We're Local"-- the Quad Cities ONLY LOCAL sports talk radio.