Iowa State VS UNI: The Good, The Bad and The Boring
Nearly 400 miles were driven on Saturday as ESPN 1170 AM's show, "Don't Hassle Us We're Local", traveled to watch BOTH the Iowa Hawkeyes and the Iowa State Cyclones football teams home openers on Saturday. Here is the Iowa State University "The Good, The Bad and The Boring" from Saturday:
- The Cyclones 29-26 overtime win was the Cyclones 7 straight home win going back to the 2018 loss to Oklahoma.
- This was the 32 meeting between the Cyclones and the Panthers. Iowa State improved it's record to 40-7-3 against Missouri Valley Schools.
- QB Brock Purdy, who is on the Maxwell, Davey 0"Brien and Manning Award watch list was 30-41-0 passed for 278 yards and threw for 2 touchdowns.
- Iowa State running backs Johnnie Lang (14-63), Sheldon Croney (13-59) and Breece Hall (11-47) all averaged 4.3 yards per carry. Only Croney scored a touchdown- that was in the 3rd overtime.
- Iowa State WR Deshaunte Jones was magnificent. He caught 14 balls for 126 yards on the day. Also a possible game saving, one handed grab.
- After only mustering up 174 yards of offense in the 1st Half, the Cyclones ended the game with 463 yards- 278 in passing and 185 yards passing.
- Iowa State Offensive line did not look good at times. Brock Purdy was sacked 2 times and Iowa State was a poor 7 for 18 on converting on 3rd down- many times on 3rd and short.
- TRAFFIC- it's not really a big deal but it took over an hour to get out of Ames and I also went to the post game media conference to kill time.
- Former Quad City preps and true Freshman Jirehl Brock (Quincy) and Darien Porter (Bettendorf) did not see action. I know it would be a stretch to see them in the first game but it would have been cool.
The Iowa State Cyclones next game will be at home against the Iowa Hawkeyes on 9/14 at 3:00 P.M.