Iowa High School State Wrestling Tournament: Day 2
Day 2 at Wells Fargo Arena in Des Moines is underway for local student-athletes looking to bring home a Iowa High School Athletic Association State Wrestling Championship!
Here are some news and notes as the Quarter-Final round is ending for Class 2A. Class 3A Quarters ended a few hours ago...
CLASS 3A TEAM STANDINGS
- WAUKEE.......................... 78
- WAVERLY-SHELL ROCK.. 75.5
- SOUTH EAST POLK........ 69.5
- FORT DODGE.................. 48.5
- BETTENDORF.................. 46
- NORTH SCOTT................ 45.5
The Bettendorf Bulldogs and the North Scott Lancers each have 4 wrestlers in the Semi-Finals tonight.
Bettendorf will be represented by Dustin Bohren (126), Logan Adamson (160), Bradley Hill (220), and Griffin Liddle (285).
Trace Gephart (113), Peyton Westlin (145), Deven Shrief (160), and AJ Petersen (182) will strap on the Lancer singlet and scrap in the Semis.
North Scott still has Joey Petersen (220) and Josh Connor (138) on the back side. Bettendorf Freshman, Jace Luna (120) is alive on the backside, too.
15 WRESTLERS FROM THE QUAD CITIES ARE GUARANTEED TO PLACE IN CLASS 3A
A win in the Quarter-Final round or a win in the blood round on Day 2 locks in your place on the podium. Plenty of wrestlers showed grit and poise to put their name into Iowa high school wrestling.
DAVENPORT WEST'S TRAVIS HODGES PUTS HIMSELF ON THE PODIUM
After two trips to State, finally Hodges has secured a place at the IAHSAA State Wrestling Tournament. Both of Hodges wins so far have come with the flair for the dramatics. On Friday, Hodges landed a lateral drop when he was down 3-1. The 5 point move on the edge of the mat gave Travis the victory and now the Senior is a state place winner.
ELLA SCHMIT FALLS SHORT OF PODIUM GOAL
Bettendorf's 106lb wrestler, Ella Schmit, lost in the backside on Friday and eliminated her from a chance to become just the 2nd female to place at the state tournament. She walks away with a 1-2 record on the weekend. Although, she leaves Des Moines with 2 losses-- she gained many new fans...
This is one of the coolest things you will see all day!
The Bulldog Junior will probably be back at The Well next year. She is already a two-time girls state wrestling champion-- a sport that has yet to be sanctioned by the Iowa Girls High School Athletic Union. If you would like to show your support for Sanction Girls Wrestling you can purchase a shirt at this LINK.
CLASS 2A NEWS AND NOTES: DAY 2
** as of publish Class 2A have not wrestled the second round of consolations.
- Davenport Assumption went a perfect 5-0 in the first round of the Class 2A tournament but could only push 1 wrestler into the Semis on Friday. Allen Catour (160) defeated previously unbeaten Jarrett Roos of Sheldon 6-4.
- Central DeWitt Senior, Keaton Zeimet (120) had a first period Fall to move into the Semis. He will face the #2 seeded McKinley Robbins of Greene County.
- Camanche's Eric Kinkaid has yet to see the 2nd period in any of his matches this weekend. He has 2 first period Falls. He faces Nick Fox of Osage in tonight's Semi-Finals.
- In a local matchup at 106 between Camanche's Jaxon Bussa and Davenport Assumption's Derrick Bass-- the Senior from Camanche was victories due to injury default. Jaxon will wrestle Gavin Jensen of Williamsburg tonight.
For more news and information go to QCA Wrestle!