Iowa Corn Cy-Hawk Series Men’s Basketball Game Notes
The University of Iowa men's basketball team returned to Carver Hawkeye Arena on Monday night and defeated the Minnesota Gophers 72-52.
The Hawks will hit the road again this week to take on the Iowa State Cyclones at Hilton Coliseum in Ames, IA on Thursday. Iowa's last win in Hilton was on March 21, 2003 in a NIT first round game versus the Cyclones (54-53). The Hawkeyes last regular season victory against Iowa State in Ames was a 78-53 victory on December 8, 2001.
Iowa holds a 45-27 advantage in the series. Iowa State has wind four of the last six meeting. Iowa defeated Iowa State last season in Carver 98-84-- the home team has won 14 of the last 16 meetings.
Game notes for tomorrow night's Cy-Hawk meeting:
- The Cyclones (6-3) are undefeated at home this season. They are 5-0 and have won by a 22-point average.
- Thursday will be Iowa's fifth game away from Iowa City in six games.
- Iowa's three losses this year (DePaul, San Diego State, and Michigan) have a combined record of 27-2.
- Luka Garza made history becoming the first Hawkeye in program history to be recognized as the USNWA Oscar Robertson National Player of the Week for his play against Syracuse and Michigan (4) last week. Garza averaged 33.5 point and 8.5 rebounds.
- Former Muscatine prep, Joe Wieskamp, led all scorers with 23 points in Monday's win over the Minnesota Gophers.
- Iowa at Iowa State will be on ESPN 2 with Jason Benetti and Dan Dakich calling the action.
- You can listen to the basketball game right here on ESPN 1170AM.